New consolidated update for four software titles makes installation easier and more efficient
PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania --- June 27, 2011 --- SMART Technologies Inc. (NASDAQ: SMT) (TSX: SMA), a leading provider of collaboration solutions, announces updates for four education software titles: SMART Notebook™ 10.8 collaborative learning software, SMART Response™ 2011 interactive response software, SMART Sync™ 2011 classroom management software and SMART Classroom Suite™ 2011 interactive learning software. For the first time, SMART is providing a consolidated update for multiple software titles. This enables administrators to quickly and easily update all of their SMART software titles simultaneously, allowing for full use of the latest features across numerous applications. The consolidated update will be available globally at no cost to existing customers by the end of July 2011. Going forward, the company will release a consolidated education software update annually.
The software updates provide new features and enhancements designed to make teaching and learning even more interactive and engaging. New Mixed Reality Tools are activated by the SMART Document Camera™ 330 or by a 90-day trial. The tools enable teachers and students to engage with mixed reality content by manipulating 3D images in a SMART Notebook lesson. They can also highlight parts of a 3D image using 3D labels that remain fixed to the designated point, even when the image is rotated and manipulated. Teachers can currently access thousands of digital resources from the Google 3D Warehouse and, by fall 2011, they will also have access to more than 100 pieces of mixed reality and 3D content via the SMART Exchange™ website (exchange.smarttech.com). SMART Response VE 2011 software now supports mixed mode, enabling teachers to use multiple hardware remotes – in the same assessment, including those from the Senteo™, SMART Response PE, SMART Response LE, SMART Response XE and SMART Response VE interactive response systems. Updates to SMART Sync 2011 software now enable support for mixed operating systems, so both Microsoft® Windows® and Mac OS can be supported in a single classroom. The consolidated software update will also give administrators the opportunity to download complimentary 30-day trials of SMART Notebook Math Tools software, SMART Classroom Suite software and SMART Sync software, and a 90-day trial of Mixed Reality Tools. For more information, and to watch a video about Mixed Reality Tools, visit smarttech.com/MixedReality.
“As teachers around the world continue to introduce SMART products into their everyday teaching and learning, the comprehensive updates for four of our popular education software titles provide teachers with even more tools to enhance the classroom experience,” says Linda Thomas, SMART’s Vice President, Products. “Offering a consolidated update for our education software titles makes it even easier and quicker for administrators to download required updates, enabling teachers to continue taking advantage of the rich features they use to help engage learners at all levels.”
New features of SMART Notebook 10.8 software
– Compress image files, typically up to one-tenth the original size, to reduce overall file size
SMART Exchange website link
– Access the SMART Exchange website at the touch of a button to download and upload SMART Notebook lessons and digital content
Mixed Reality Tools Support
– Explore and manipulate mixed reality and 3D content within a SMART Notebook lesson (Microsoft Windows only)
New features of SMART Response 2011 software
Answer key wizard
– Quickly and easily create answer keys for self-paced assessments
– Use multiple hardware remotes, including those from the Senteo, SMART Response PE, SMART Response LE, SMART Response XE and SMART Response VE interactive response systems – in the same assessment
– With the touch of a button, superimpose SMART Response software tools and questions directly over third-party content, such as that from websites or other applications, to supplement the lesson or assessment
New features of SMART Sync 2011 software
Mixed OS support
– Use the software to support classrooms and computer labs using both Microsoft Windows and Mac OS
– Take advantage of enhanced support for Windows Multipoint Server 2011 to address the growing trend of thin-client adoption in education settings
New features of SMART Classroom Suite 2011 software
Class list integration
– Consolidate class lists from SMART Classroom Suite software and SMART Sync software into a single, easy-to-use roster
Comprehensive software update
– Enjoy complete updates of SMART Sync 2011, SMART Response 2011 and SMART Notebook 2011 software
New features of Mixed Reality Tools*
Show and manipulate objects in 3D
– Explore 3D objects and images using axis rotation or freestyle manipulation
3D labels – Mark specific areas of a 3D object or image and have those labels remain fixed while the object is rotated or manipulated
Enter 3D scene mode
– Delve into a selection of 3D images for further exploration
Disguise and reveal
– Disguise any object using a 3D magic hat, and then reveal the hidden object
* Currently activated by the addition of the SMART Document Camera 330 or available as a 90-day trial for SMART Notebook software.
Pricing and availability
The consolidated software update for SMART Notebook 10.8, SMART Response 2011, SMART Classroom Suite 2011, SMART Sync 2011, SMART Board™ interactive whiteboard drivers and Mixed Reality Tools for the SMART Document Camera 330 will be available globally at no charge to existing software users. When administrators update any one of their existing education software titles, they will now have the opportunity to update all education software titles at the same time. Administrators can also download complimentary 30-day trials of SMART Notebook Math Tools software, SMART Classroom Suite software and SMART Sync software, and a 90-day trial of Mixed Reality Tools.
SMART Technologies Inc. is a leading provider of collaboration solutions that transform the way the world works and learns. We believe that collaboration and interaction should be easy. As the global leader in interactive whiteboards, we bring more than two decades of collaboration research and development to a broad range of easy-to-use, integrated solutions that free people from their desks and computer screens, so collaborating and learning with digital resources are more natural.
Certain information contained in this press release may constitute forward-looking information or statements. By their very nature, forward-looking information and statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties, both general and specific, and risks that predictions, forecasts, projections and other forward-looking information and statements will not be achieved. We caution readers not to place undue reliance on these statements as a number of important factors could cause the actual results to vary materially from the forward-looking information or statements. We do not assume responsibility for the accuracy and completeness of the forward-looking information or statements. Any forward-looking information and statements contained in this press release are expressly qualified by this cautionary statement.
For more information, please contact
SMART Technologies Inc.
© 2011 SMART Technologies. SMART Notebook, SMART Response, SMART Sync, SMART Classroom Suite, SMART Document Camera, SMART Exchange, Senteo, SMART Board, smarttech and the SMART logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of SMART Technologies in the U.S. and/or other countries. Windows is either a registered trademark or a trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other third-party product and company names are for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Please note that SMART is written in all capital letters.